Scoil Mhuire gan Smál (C) first opened its doors back in 1897 on September 1st. The school was then situated at the junction of Glasheen Road and Clashduv Road at the site of what is now the Glenarden housing estate. Glasheen was a quiet and peaceful village at that time. The name Glasheen comes from the Irish word Glaisan which means little stream. The stream still runs under Glasheen Road, near the school.
In 1937 the girls school moved from the old site to the present school at School Avenue, a hundred metres up the hill from the original site. In the late 1960s the school on the old site was used once again to meet the demand for places, as a result of the building of many new housing estates in the area.
In 1972 , a further new two-storey building, which included 6 classrooms and a school hall was opened. In recent years, the school has been further upgraded to include a resource rooms, a cookery room, an outdoor classroom, a new Infant playground and a school garden. Over the years interactive whiteboards have been installed in each classroom. An indoor sensory room as well as improved disabled access facilities were added recently.
A Pre-School and After- Care Service run by Mary O’ Sullivan has also been opened on the premises and this service is extremely popular with parents and pupils alike.